Maryland's two principal theaters are Center Stage (the State Theater) and Olney Theater (the State Summer Theater). In addition, Maryland is home to a variety of smaller professional and community theaters, ranging from classical to experimental.
- Theaters (by county)
Center Stage at night, 700 North Calvert St., Baltimore, Maryland. Photo courtesy of Center Stage.
Members of Baltimore's vibrant theater community, the Baltimore Shakespeare Festival, the Black Cherry Puppet Theater, Everyman Theatre, the Fell's Point Corner Theatre, and the Theatre Project produce everything from avant-garde puppetry to Shakespeare in the park.
Fell's Point Corner Theatre, 251 South Ann St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Community theater thrives in Annapolis, where the Colonial Players celebrate over half a century of education and entertainment in a city that is also home to the Summer Garden Theatre and the Bay Theatre Company. For those outside the metropolitan area, Rep Stage in Columbia and the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company in Ellicott City offer professional quality theater in intimate settings. In Charles County, the Port Tobacco Players entertain at La Plata.
For information on Annapolis theater history, see "The Progress of Refinement: A History of the Theatre in Annapolis" by Jane McWilliams (Annapolis: The Colonial Players Inc., 1976).
Theatre Project, 45 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2005. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
- Adventure Theatre, Glen Echo
- Bethesda Little Theatre, Bethesda
- Bethesda Theatre, Bethesda
- Cedar Lane Stage, Bethesda
- Chevy Chase Players, Chevy Chase
- Damascus Theatre Company, Damascus
- Kensington Arts Theatre Group, Kensington
- Mansion Mysteries, Silver Spring
- Montgomery Playhouse, Asbury
- Music Center at Strathmore, North Bethesda
- Olney Theatre Center for the Arts, Olney
- Potomac Theatre Company, Potomac
- Rockville Little Theatre, Rockville
- Rockville Musical Theatre, Rockville
- Round House Theatre, Bethesda
- Sandy Spring Theatre Group, Kensington
- Silver Spring Stage, Silver Spring
- Victorian Lyric Opera Company, Rockville
- Wildwood Summer Theatre, Bethesda
PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY
- Bowie Community Theatre, Bowie
- Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, College Park
- Greenbelt Arts Center, Greenbelt
- Hard Bargain Players, Accokeek
- Laurel Mill Playhouse, Laurel
- Music & Drama (MAD) Club, Greenbelt
- Prince George's Little Theatre, New Carrollton
- St. Matthew's Musical Theatre Troupe, Bowie
- 2nd Star Productions, Bowie
- Tawes Theatre, College Park
ST. MARY'S COUNTYNewtowne Players, Lexington Park
St. Mary's College of Maryland Theatre, St. Mary's City
Living History at Historic St. Mary's City, St. Mary's City
TALBOT COUNTYAvalon Theatre, Easton
WASHINGTON COUNTYMaryland Theatre, Hagerstown
Potomac Playmakers, Hagerstown
Old Colonial Theatre, 12-14 South Potomac St., Hagerstown, Maryland, June 2004. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
© Copyright December 24, 2008 Maryland State Archives
Maryland Manual On-Line, 2009
July 1, 2009
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual